Although it is some time since I have posted to this site, it’s for good reason. My current employer recently decided that my role, and that of several colleagues should be made redundant. Fortunately I saw the writing on the wall some time before the axe fell, and even then it was with a bit of notice so I have had time to start planning the next phase of my career. It’s not even Plan B. It’s a positive diversion to the next adventure in my working life.
This period of employment for a Utility company has just spanned seven years and I am grateful for that period of financial stability. It came at a time when I desperately needed it and of course I have learnt a lot along the way. I now know a lot more about power generation than I did seven years ago. Increasingly though, my tolerance for corporate bureaucracy is decreasing and so the rising operational restrictions and containment of my working day are becoming more difficult to tolerate. I’m jumping back into self-employment. Woo Hoo.
I won’t pretend that I don’t have moments of scaring myself silly, because I do. Here I am launching into a new business which will have to start generating income relatively quickly. That won’t be the same as I am currently receiving but it still needs to provide some income. I face a precarious retirements in coming years if I don’t make a success of this.
What I’ve been doing is planning, and learning, and thinking, and studying, and talking to anyone who would listen and brainstorming and planning again. I have come up with my business concept, which is fluid at this stage in recognition of the fact that it will evolve during the early days. You have no idea how difficult it is these days to come up with a name that is relevant, that feels right, that is registerable and has available .com and .com.au domain names. I reviewed and tested over a hundred options.
Then came the logo. I knew more definitively what I didn’t want but was hazy on what I did want. I commissioned several people via Fiverr to come up with a design, and they each produced cookie-cutter type designs that did not resonate at all. There was one that had elements that I liked and so I took it and developed it a bit further and then got a local graphic designer to add the finishing touches. That process took quite a few weeks as well.
I have completed my business plan, and incorporated within that my 90-day plan to keep me on track. I am now working on my website which I hope to have in a launch-able state by 1 August. This timing is influenced a bit by the fact that my current paid employment terminates on 31 July. I’ll be making a transition from one to the other. I still have to design and create the reference material that I need to support the business but that’s on August’s To Do list.
August will be very busy because I am also attending the annual conference of the Romance Writers of Australia, to be held in Melbourne. Although my first novel was published, that publisher went out of business and rights reverted to me. I will take the opportunity to pitch the novel to other publishers at the conference. I have also been working on the second novel, which is a sequel to the first. A chance remark about conflict between characters made me think of an additional thread that would run through the first novel and carry over in the second, not only tying them more strongly together but strengthening the plot line of the first. I have a bit of work to do therefore in modifying ‘The Red Heart’ before the pitch. Attending the conference is a huge expense, but it is also my treat to myself after all the stress and angst that has been taking place at work for many months now. I’m looking forward to it.
I’ll post further details of the new business when I’m ready to launch. Hopefully I’ll also be able to report that a new publisher has taken up my book. If that doesn’t happen, I will consider self-publishing.